Tosca: Live in Rome [Blu-ray] starring Placido Domingo



Superb performance with technical caveats...
Unfortunate that Amazon chooses to combine reviews of blu-ray and DVD versions of operas.

The blu-ray copy I received opened on a top menu with just a blank blue bar with no means of selecting options or any way to make it play. Pity. I've owned this version on laserdisc and potentially the best version out there. Was really looking forward to having this. Other caveat, the box that it came in states that it is remastered in high definition from the original master tape. So, potentially good picture. But would not be wide screen nor HD sound. Still, would be worth having if they solve problem of opening menu and ability to play!

Be very clear that my review is of the blu-ray version. I've returned the blu-ray disc and have ordered the DVD.

Update 8/19/2013. Apparently the blu-ray and DVD both are old style 4:3 aspect ratio and PCM sound. Lacking HD sound, 5.1 surround and wide-screen. So even if you can get a blu-ray that plays, no benefit in...

Wonderful production
This recording is so special because it was filmed in the actual locations in Rome. It brings the story to life not only with beautiful singing but with the atmosphere as well.

Rare original settings.
I loved it! To see the original locations for this opera was far better than any stage production. An excellent production on all counts. I found the singing and music outstanding. I was glued to the TV screen for each act. I have seen other production but never in authentic settings. So truly visual. When Scarpia, at the end of the first act, kisses the robe of the Holy Father and raises his eyes upward, I could clearly see his lust for Tosca. The juxtaposition of his evil in the house of God was the beginning of his downfall. Tosca's courage in the face of such evil demonstrated the strength of her character. I found similar courage by Madama Butterfly.

I could go on, but enough.

Click to Editorial Reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

17+ Sunday March 21 2021

24+ Anthony Edwards Poster

45+ Cristiano Ronaldo Coloring Pages